Long-Term Care Services
The standard provides:
- Residents, families, and/or caregivers with information about what they can expect from a high-quality and safe Long-Term Care (LTC) home and a description of their roles and responsibilities regarding how they may be partners in their care,
- A focus on resident-centred care through shared decision making and individualized care planning,
- Information and guidance for the protection of the physical and psychological security of residents in a LTC organization,
- Content on preventing, addressing and reporting abuse and neglect of residents,
- Content on preventing and managing residents’ responsive behaviours,
- Content on the safe use of minimal restraints,
- LTC providers with guidance on how to ensure high-quality and safe care in their organization, and
- External assessment bodies with measurable requirements to guide continuous quality improvement.
This standard is intended for use by organizations that provide accommodation, high levels of care, 24-hour nursing care, meals, and housekeeping, along with social and recreational activities for their residents.